St. Cecelia - History
1857 - First recordings of Catholics in the Algona area.
1872 - The first church of St. Cecelia was built.
1880 - First Resident Priest, Father McCaffrey, stationed in Algona.
1884 - The south half (or old part) of Calvary Cemetery deeded to Denis McCaffrey.
1887 - June - Calvary Cemetery land deeded to John Hennessy, Bishop of Dubuque.
1892 - July - The second St. Cecelia Church was built.
1894 - June- Dedication of the second St. Cecelia Church.
1913 - May - Calvary Cemetery land deeded to St. Cecelia's Roman Catholic Church.
1923 - January - The North half (or new part) of Calvary Cemetery deeded.
1927 - The Academy (now Seton School) was built.
1928 - Rectory Addition
1930 - October - The Golden Jubilee of the parish. The Rectory was built.
1932 - First class graduated from St. Cecelia Academy
1948-1951 - Construction and dedication of the Convent.
1948 - October - St. Ann Hospital built.
1953 - March - Construction of the present St. Cecelia Church began.
1954 - September - Dedication of the new church.
1959 - Garrigan High School was built.
1967 - September - St. Ann's ownership transferred to the Sisters of St. Benedict of Madison, Wisc.
1972 - January - St. Ann's ownership transferred to Kossuth County and renamed Kossuth County Hospital.
1976 - Rectory addition constructed.
1979 - July - A tornado hits Algona causing $25 million in damage. Many lost homes, businesses and loved ones.
October - Pope John Paul II visits Iowa
2002 - Renovation