We are excited to assist you in preparing for your child's baptism!
“Through baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made shares of her mission.” CCC 1213
1. Parents must attend Baptism Classes prior to Baptism and be an active member of one of our Five Saint Catholic Communities. (If not a letter of permission must be received from your parish prior to the Baptism.)
2. We encourage that the Sacrament of Baptism takes place during our scheduled masses. Otherwise it will be scheduled after mass through the parish office.
3. The Sponsors/God Parents must be practicing Catholics, 18-years-old, who have received the Sacrament of Confirmation. (According to Sioux City Diocese guidelines.)
4. There can be one or two sponsor(s)/Godparent(s): One male sponsor or one female sponsor or one of each. (canon law 873 of the Catholic Church)
5. People who are not Catholics can be Christian Witnesses. This is an honorary position. There can be as many witnesses as wanted by the parents. Christian Witnesses will not be on the Baptism certificate or on the Baptism record.
6. People who are not practicing Catholics or not practicing Christians can not be a Sponsors/God parents or Christian witnesses.
CAN. 874: To be permitted to take the function of sponsor a person must be designated by the one to be baptized, by the parents or the person who takes their place, or in their absence by the pastor or minister and have the aptitude and intention of fulfilling this function; have completed the sixteenth year of age, unless the diocesan bishop has established another age, or the pastor or minister has granted an exception for a just cause. be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on; not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared; not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized. 2. A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community is not to participate except together with a Catholic sponsor and then only as a witness of the baptism.
If you are an adult seeking baptism please visit our Becoming Catholic RCIA link and call Deacon Bill Black at 515-295-3435